Jahanum – Hell
· Dearest Brothers and sisters; In a previous khutbah we listened to the wonders of heaven, a gift from Allah SW for the true believers.
· In today’s khutbah I wish to speak about the other life of the hereafter; as you all know in the hereafter one will get to spend there life either in heaven or in the Hellfire… may Allah preserve us from that.
· Today we shall reflect upon the Hellfire, its creation, its severe punishment, and its occupants.
· My brothers Jahanam is a place where all those deserving the punishment of Allah SW go – and so bearing in mind the greatness of Allah we must realize the people of Hell will definitely be those who were evil in this life.
· However we must remember the greatest evil of all is the evil against Allah SW, by not recognizing the rights that; our Creator, our Lord, our Sustainer, has upon us. May Allah protect us from the evil of disbelief.
(Al-Baqarah 2:24) ‘…Fear the fire, Whose fuel is men and stones, Which is prepared for those – who reject faith.’
· Some scholars of tafseer have explained the stones mentioned in this ayah as the idols, which the disbelievers worshiped in disobedience to Allah SW.
· Before we begin let us clearly understand the purpose of Hell and why Allah created it.
S. Muslim; Abu Hurayrah: “There was a dispute between Hell and Heaven during which the Hell said: “The haughty and the proud shall find abode in me.’ Upon which the heaven said: ‘The meek and the humble will find abode in me.’ Thereupon Allah SW addressed each by saying: ‘You are the means of my punishment by which I punish those of my servants whom I wish.’ And, ‘You are my mercy by means of which I will show mercy to those upon whom I wish.’ And ‘each one of you will be full.’
· Let us spend a few moments just going over the names that Allah uzo-wajal has described Hell with;
o Jahannam – The Hell fire
§ ( Naba: 78-21) “Truly Hell is as a place of ambush”
§ 'INNA JAHANNAM KAANAT MIRS.AAD(AN)
o Al- Hutamah – The Crusher which smashes or breaks to pieces
§ (Al- Humaza 104:4-7) “… Verily, he will be thrown into the crushing Fire.* And what will make you know what the crushing Fire is? * (It is) the Fire of (the Wrath of) Allah kindled (to a blaze) * which will mount (Right) to the Hearts * It shall be made into a vault over them.” ‘KuLLAA LA- YUmBADHANNA FE AL- H.UT.AMAH…’
o Sa’eer – The Burning fire
§ (Ash –Shura 42:7) “.. a group in paradise and a group in Sa’eer”
o Saqar - the verse explains its meaning by saying:
§ (Al – Muddaththir 74:26-29) “Soon I will cast him into Saqar! * And what will explain to you what the Saqar is? * it does not permit anything to endure and does it leaves nothing alone!, darkening and changing the color of man.”
o Al – Hawiyah - The Pit
§ (Al-Qariah 101:8-11) “But he whose scales are light * His home will be a pit. * and what will make you understand what a Pit is ? * It is a fierce blazing fire, blazing fiercely.”
§ WA- 'AMMAA MAN KHAFFAT MAWAAZEN -HU
(Az-Zumar 39:71) “The unbelievers will be lead to Hell in crowds, until when they arrive there, its gates will be opened.”
(Az-Zumar 39:72) “[To them] It will be said, ‘enter you the gates of Hell to dwell therein. And how evil is [this] abode of the arrogant.”
· After this the gates of Hell will be locked, the fire will encompass the occupants of the fire. As mentioned in the quran-
(al-Humazah 104:6-9) “It is the fire of Allah, kindled to a blaze. Which leaps up to the hearts. It shall be made into a vault over them. [Sealed] In columns outstretched.”
Infact not only is the Hell locked up, but look at what the prophet told us about its permanence.
S. Muslim; Abu Saeed: “Death will be brought on the day of resurrection in the form of a white colored Ram. Then it will be made to stand between Paradise and Hell. It will be said to the people of paradise, ‘do you recognize this?’ They will look towards it and say, ‘yes… it is death.’ Then a command will be given to slaughter it, and it will be said, O people of paradise, there is everlasting life for you and no death. And it will be said to the people of Hell, ‘O people of Hell there is everlasting life for you and no death.” The prophet then pointed his hand towards this material world and recited the following ayah:
(Al- Maryam 19:39) “But warn them of the Day of Distress when the matter will be determined: for they are careless, and they do not believe!”
· Unfortunately amongst the muslims I have witnessed an awful state of mind, the muslims of today unlike the companions of the prophet (S), do not fear HELL. In fact many, many times you hear of muslims candidly saying: well I believe in Allah so after some time in Hell I will get taken out and put into heaven.
· So let this be a reminder to all of us, a reminder of what Hell really is like. So that each of us can make up our minds wether we want to spend any time in it…
S. Bukhari; Abu Hurayrah: “your [ordinary] fire is one of 70 portions of the hellfire,’… ‘The Hellfire has 69 more portions than ordinary fire, all of them are as hot as this wordly fire.”
(Al-Furqan 25:11-14) “No they deny the hour [of judgement to come], but We have prepared a blazing fire for such as deny the Hour. When it sees them from a far off place, they will hear its fury and its raging sigh. And when they are cast, bound in chains, into a constricted place therein, they will plead for destruction. Do not plead today for a single destruction; plead for a destruction constantly repeated.”
The fire of hell is not a joke my brothers, look at what Allah says in surah Az-Zhukhruf:-
Eternity in the Fire
(Zhukhruf 43:74-78) “Verily, the Mujrimun (criminals, sinners, disbelievers, etc.) will be in the torment of Hell to abide therein forever. * It will not be lightened for them, and they will be overwhelmed inside there in despair. And we have not wronged them, but it is they who have wronged [themselves]. They will cry out ‘O Malik, let your Lord put an end to us!’ He will say, ‘Surely you will stay [as you are]!’. Verily we had brought the truth to you, but most of you dislike the truth.”
Also remember that Hell is not a small oven or even a forest fire, lets see what the Prophet said about its size:
S. Muslim; Abu Hurayrah: While we were in the company of Allah’s messenger we heard a terrible sound, Allah's messenger then asked us “‘do you know what that sound is?’ We replied ‘Allah and his messenger know best’ he said, ‘That is a stone which was thrown into hell 70 years ago and has been constantly falling until now when it finally reached the bottom.’”
S. Tirmidhi; Abu Hurayrah: “And the disbelievers seat in the Hellfire is as much as (the distance) between Mecca and Medina.
· However even with this the great capacity Hell will not be filled.
(Qaf 50:30) “On the day We will say to the Hellfire: ‘Have you been filled?’ and it will say: ‘Are there some more?’”
But lets not just talk about the Size of Hell rather look at what Allah has created inside it:
Food of Hell
(Ad-Dukhan 44:43-46) “Verily, the tree of Zaqqum, Will be the food of the sinners, Like molten brass; it will boil in their insides. Like the boiling of scalding water.”
(as-Saffat 37:62-67) “Verily, it is a tree that springs out of the bottom of Hell-fire, The shoots of its fruit-stalks are like the heads of devils: Truly they will eat thereof and fill their bellies therewith. Then on the top of that they will be given boiling water to drink so that it becomes a mixture (of boiling water and Zaqqum in their bellies).
(al-Waqiah 56:55 ) “"So you will drink (that) like thirsty camels!"
(Sad 38:57) “Then they will taste it- a boiling fluid and a filthy fluid of Pus and blood…”
(al- Hajj 22:19)“…for those who disbelieve, garments of fire will be cut out for them, boiling water will be poured down over their heads.”
And after understanding what is inside Hell listen to what its inhabitants will say from within it.
(al – Muminun 23:106-108) They will say: "Our Lord! Our wretchedness overcame us, and we became a people astray! * "Our Lord! take us out of this: if ever we return (to evil) then shall we be wrongdoers indeed!" * He will say ‘ Remain humiliated and do not speak to Me!”
Arguments within hell
(Ghafir 40:47-48) “And, when they will dispute in the Fire, the weak will say to those who were arrogant; ‘Verily! We followed you, can you then take from us some portion of the Fire?’ Those who had been arrogant will say: ‘We are all in this (Fire)! Truly Allah has judged between (His) Servants!’"
· Subhanallah… look at this, these are our great leaders, our icons, our imams in kufr. These are the media moghuls, and the Hollywood stars and the rock divas, and even our sinful close family and best friends. All those who guided us to falsehood will turn our backs towards us.
· Our deeds, my brothers, are our deeds and each person shall pay for what he has done in this world.
· Listen to what Allah tells us about Satan’s conversation to the people in Hell:
(Ibrahim 14:22) “And Shaitan (Satan) will say when the matter has been decided: "Verily, Allah promised you a promise of truth. And I too promised you, but I betrayed you. I had no authority over you except that I called you, so you responded to me. So blame me not, but blame yourselves. I cannot help you, nor can you help me. I deny your former act in associating me (Satan) as a partner with Allah (by obeying me in the life of the world). Verily, there is a painful torment for the Zalimun (polytheists and wrong-doers, etc.).”
Someone once asked the imam of GMU, Br. Muhammad Al-Kahtani, whether there ever comes a time when a person can reach a level of Islam where they no longer need to be constantly worried about there Iman (faith). The Imam smiled and said “Yes… If you are a prophet!”
· My dearest brothers and sisters, why is it that today we seem to have given up our struggle to keep our imaan high, to remain Muslims, to fight to gain jannah (heaven), to fear and struggle from falling into the Hell Fire, which is clearly so real and so severe.
· Why is it that we the Muslims of the 21st century are so intoxicated in this life that the majority of us no longer worry about Hell, but rather take it as a temporary stop in the path of eternal happiness.
· What is it that we have done which makes us so sure of a place in Heaven?
· To be the Muslims of today’s age, possibly the worst phase in Islamic history, when the Muslims have taken up blindly following the Kufaar in every facet of our lives. Yet we seem so strong and so sure about our belonging in Jannah.
· When the Muslims are being pounded from all corners of the world, when we are being humiliated and enslaved by every foreign nation, and our children indoctrinated through the media into following all kinds of corrupt kaafir idols; why then are we so obstinately sure about our place in jannah.
· I fear that Allah is about to remove us the Muslims from this earth and replace us with a better more believing nation, a more practicing nation and nation that will truly submitting to his will.
· An yet while I say this I wonder if this talk about the Hell Fire, the extent of Allah’s punishment of the disobeyers even affects any of us.
· Why are we so untouched by the talk of the Hell Fire, lets us look into our hearts and check, when we hear all this about Hell do we feel worried? Are we truly worried?
· Because the Sahaba were very worried, the prophets were very worried; the righteous Muslims always have been and continue to be very worried. Indeed any one, who understands that this is the punishment of Allah and what causes such a punishment to be given to the people, will be worried.
· The great scholars have referred to this kind of worrying as a sign for a living heart. So lets be concerned, lets work to keep our hearts alive.